Yesterday I said that the BAAAA sheep shawl would bring me rather neatly on to the next project that I have to share with you.
So, here it/he is, lounging nonchalantly next to some of my stash…….
Meet Sidney the Suffolk Sheep (alliteration is always important when it comes to naming things)! He’s knitted in Rowan’s lovely Purelife British Sheep Breeds DK (now sadly discontinued I think) in shades #780/Ecru Blue Faced Leicester and #781/Brown Blue Faced Leicester, so he really is all sheep!
Sidney had been on my needles for quite some time (Since April 2011 to be precise – pre-blog!) so he really deserved to stop being a WIP (work in progress) and become a finished sheep.
I’d finished Sidney’s body and head before he went into hibernation, which are cunningly made in one piece thanks to Janice Anderson’s clever pattern, but I hadn’t knitted his legs or ears. Poor legless Sidney.
So, to avoid the tedium of having to do all the fiddly sewing up and stuffing at the end, I decided to sew up and stuff the body and head before knitting the legs, hoping that this would motivate me to finish him. It worked! Once I’d made something that looked more sheep-like I really wanted to get him finished. I made the ears and sewed them on. This did make him look a little like a rabbit, but I was informed by my brother (the intended recipient – there is a bit of a family in-joke that results in occasionally exchanging sheep related items – yes we are completely sane) that this merely gave him character and that I was therefore forbidden to change them.
Soon, the legs were done and sewn up. This was a bit of a fiddle, as you have to sew them using mattress stitch and then turn them inside out (easier said than done on such a narrow piece of knitting) so the seams are on the outside of the leg. You then have to turn up a sort section at the end of the leg to form cute little hooves. The upside of this is that the legs are not stuffed, so less faffing there. Also I think it adds even more character!
Next, it was on to his facial features, so I tried to give him a mischievous expression to match those impish ears. Feeling that he needed a little something extra, I decided to knit a jaunty little red neckerchief out of some leftover yarn, making it up as I went along.
His ears never did lie flat….